“Architecture & Access assisted us with specialist design advice and onsite inspections to ensure the development met all the requirements of access.”
Professional access consulting services for building certifiers and surveyors
Architecture & Access understands the role of building certifiers and surveyors in to:
- Meet obligations to provide accessible premises
- Ensure building work is done in compliance with building control legislation
- Provide information to guide the work of architects and construction professionals.
Building certifiers and surveyors engage us to provide specialist access advice to ensure new developments comply with regulations, are accessible and functional for people with disability.
Specialist access consulting services
We have up-to-date knowledge of all the requirements of relevant local policy, anti-discrimination laws and building control regulations, advising on design issues that may expose building certifiers and surveyors to potential claims under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and Access to Premises.
Access consulting services include:
- Auditing of disability access of new building projects, public transports – airports, bus interchanges and trams – at all stages of design and development
- Reviewing existing plans for development, renovation, fit-out and refurbishment
- Advising on compliance with current standards
- Designing solutions to meet accessibility requirements
- Developing alternative solutions for existing buildings where compliance with current disability requirements is difficult to achieve or is deemed not to have been met
- Professional advice in regard to auditing and review of existing buildings, and affected part requirements under Access to Premises Standards
- Providing recommendations on items that have an access or Disability Discrimination Act 1992 component
- Access reports
- Alternative solution reports
- Design, documentation and construction compliance certificates
- Site inspections during construction phase and prior to issuing of certificate of occupancy
- Disability support and management services at major events for example, the Grand Prix, Australian Open, and Melbourne Cup Carnival
- OHS consulting specialising in Safety in Design implementation in line with the Work Heath and Safety Act 2011 (WHS Act) and Regulations and state-based OHS laws.
- Project management of the design and delivery of accessibility objectives
- Advice and assessment on Universal Design principles.
We also provide additional recommendations in relation to the spirit and intent of the DDA, obligations above and beyond BCA certification, and design that is functional for the particular use of the building.
Experienced in a wide range of built environments
Our experience covers the access needs of people with disability in relation to:
- Workplaces and learning spaces
- Transport hubs including rail and airports
- Major infrastructure sites
- Unique building types such as correctional facilities, defence projects, and working spaces for laboratories
- Temporary constructions to accommodate major events.
Contact us for a conversation about your project.